Measuring Brand Equity Through Social Media Marketing

Social Marketing | August 9, 2008

There are several tools available to help marketers measure the effectiveness of their social media marketing efforts.  Some of them include free tools like, Blogpulse, Trendpedia, Trendrr, Google Blogsearch and other vote-centric sites such as DIGG, StumbleUpon and Reddit.  These tools are some of the most popular and readily available tools used to track, measure and monitor social media content.  They are all free to the user community.

In the spirit of sharing good content, Nathan Gilliatt, Principal at Social Target, LLC has published an impressive list of tools to monitor social media results which include commercial tools which have a cost.  The list of tools is growing every day.

But, how do you measure brand equity? Admittedly, measuring brand equity is somewhat intangible.  But, that depends on your perspective (is the glass half full or half empty?).  Large companies place a lot of importance in measuring brand equity.  But, most companies are not Nike.  So, how do the rest of us measure brand equity?

In social media marketing there exist new opportunities to positively affect your brand equity.   It all starts with the people in your company who are active in social media marketing.  Previously, I’ve used the example of Matt Cutts from Google.  When someone from your company takes a visible position in a social media community, and they effectively communicate meaningful stuff that the community truly appreciates, you are positively affecting your brand.  How do you measure this?

If you hire a PR agency with good social media skills, that’s one way to measure it.  If you use some of the tools described above including some of the commercial tools, that’s another way to measure your brand equity.  But, here is a simple tip that takes ten minutes and doesn’t cost a dime.  Go to your Google Analytics account or equivalent website traffic analytics program.  Assuming you have had your analytics in place for more than one year (which you should have), look at the traffic that came to your website from the keyword “your company name” (insert the name of your company).  Study the traffic coming to your website from your company name over different periods of time starting with a period of time before you became active in social media marketing.  If you are actively engaging, listening and interacting with your community in social media, you will see an upward trend in traffic to your website coming from some combination of your company name or the name of the person (or people) who are actively involved in your social media strategy.  I’ve experienced this firsthand as both “find and convert” and “bernie borges” are two of the top five keyword phrases driving visitors to our website.  Likewise, the Find and Convert blog home page is in the top three most frequently visited pages in our Google Analytics account.  These two data points alone tell me that my efforts in social media are positively affecting our brand.

The lifecycle of social media is a continuous loop.  The good news is that when you apply the simple principles discussed here, good things can happen.  But, the flip side is that the “continuous” part of it is such that if you discontinue participation you can lose all the benefits.

19 Comments to Measuring Brand Equity Through Social Media Marketing

1. by madiha mushtaq

On September 8, 2008 at 12:30 pm

well written blog.but need to be more clear

2. by @7shashatop

On January 9, 2010 at 5:55 am

Hi,
    good work , thanks for sharing http://www.iraqseo.com

3. by Dallas Internet Mark

On January 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I agree, there are several ways to measure brand equity through social media marketing. Tools that work for most SEO persons that generate accurate results, can definitely help with a fast turn around. Safest way for new businesses is to hire a professional or an expert in the field.

4. by Canadian Evista with

On November 15, 2011 at 12:39 am

My partner and i certainly need to think more in that direction and see things i can do regarding this.

5. by Lita Minshall

On November 15, 2011 at 4:16 am

I seemed to be aware of this previously, but nonetheless there have been a few useful pieces that completed the image for me, thanks a ton!

6. by Android Apps

On November 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Excellent goods from you, man. Measuring Brand Equity Through Social Media Marketing – Find and Convert | Find and Convert I have understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely great. I really like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous Measuring Brand Equity Through Social Media Marketing – Find and Convert | Find and Convert informations.

7. by dating advice

On November 19, 2011 at 2:01 am

Hey, just a quick question. Could you please tell me how I could stay updated about your future posts? Maybe an update list I could join? Thanks!

8. by Arnold Suaava

On March 10, 2012 at 12:54 am

I don’t have to update my blogroll every time I add a new blog to my Reader

9. by GEORGE

On April 27, 2012 at 1:43 am

The whole look of your web site is fantastic, let well as the content material! Obrigado

10. by כסא מנהלים

On September 10, 2012 at 10:13 pm

היי הידעתם? ריהוט משרדי הינו כולל כסא מחשב וכסא מחשב ורהיטים למשרד

11. by Cherryl Snearly

On October 16, 2012 at 3:51 am

Hi! I simply wish to give you a big thumbs up for the excellent info you have got here on this post. I will be coming back to your website for more soon.

12. by Raelene Bookamer

On October 25, 2012 at 5:07 am

Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Finding the time and actual effort to generate a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and don’t manage to get nearly anything done.

13. by as it