What Do Social Media and Christmas Have in Common?

Social Marketing | December 21, 2008

Sharing…

Why beat around the bush? The Christmas holiday season is a time to share and give. And, isn’t that one aspect of social media that we all enjoy?

The most prolific social media people are always sharing. They share their thoughts, their expertise, links to great content and their time. When Christmas time rolls around isn’t it natural for those of us who actively use social media to also share with those who don’t have our good fortunes?

In this blog post I want to recognize three recent examples of social media people who are setting an example. The reason I’m singling them out is because there are probably many others out there and I want others who know them to recognize them by adding them to the comments area.

The reason I want to recognize them is partially to give them thanks. But, mostly I want to use them as inspirational examples. We know the social power of the web. We use the social web to connect and to market ourselves. We regularly share links to content. Let’s use these links as inspirations and personal challenges to do great things for needy people.

As the world around us reels from economic hardships among other hardships, each of us can do something to help others. No matter how small, every little bit is a help to someone.

Let’s look at these examples for inspiration:

Your Donations Really Made a Difference: A few days ago Chris Brogan raised $1,200 in donations by putting out a challenge to his Twitter followers to make a difference. Chris is adding $700 of his own money to buy “really big” toys for underprivileged kids. Chris humbly says “You did this…You made it possible for me to pick up several carts full of toys” as he gives credit to his friends on the social web. Way to go Chris for showing leadership and caring!

A month ago Epic Change a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization run by Stacey Monk ran a two day donation campaign in the 48 hours preceding Thanksgiving. Stacey assembled a group of volunteers to organize Tweetsgiving. This event raised more than $10,000 to build a school building in Tanzania. Way to go Stacey for boldly blazing a new trail on Twitter!

In October, JD Rucker wrote a blog post: With Great Social Media Power Comes Great Responsibility. JD is calling on the companies in social media and their executives to give back to the needy.

I don’t want to give you the impression that I believe you aren’t already generous with your giving. I merely want to point out the power of social media. No disrespect to Chris Brogan, Stacey Monk or JD Rucker, but you don’t have to be Bill Gates to make a difference.

Rather than sit by, these people just to name three, are stepping out and taking action. They are inspiring all of us to take action.

Last week I provided pro bono social media strategy advice to Meet the Need a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. After that experience I was inspired to do more of it. I will stay close to Meet the Need because it can reach so many people and because I’m in a position to help.

This time of year calls more attention to the needy. My challenge to all my friends on the social web is to share and give of yourself all year long.

I invite you to offer your comments and tell us who else you know on the social web that is taking action to share with the needy.

@berniebay

7 Comments to What Do Social Media and Christmas Have in Common?

1. by Jackie

On December 21, 2008 at 10:38 pm

One of my favorite quotes is by ZigZigler “You can have everything in life that you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” What better way than through Social Media.

2. by Abdel

On December 22, 2008 at 6:06 am

Nice post, interesting to see the cultural differences between the US and France (where I live); where the state used to organize "public charity" -sorry for my english.
    Here is another example of what twitter, or twitter users should I say, can do: http://tinyurl.com/7w2y7f

Have a nice day!

3. by Dianna Kersey

On December 22, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I actually had not thought of using social media as a communication of help for others, but I guess I'm having a Homer Simpson moment. DOH!

I did use the power of traditional media with a press release when we launched an International Random Acts of Kindness Campaign on http://www.officialsantamail.com last year, but have found that since we integrated the social media "Share This" icon, we have seen more communication responses to the program this year. The power of social media is stronger!

Great Blog Post Bernie – You are an Inspiration to Many!

4. by Bernie Borges

On December 22, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Hi Abdel,
    Thanks for passing along this story. http://tinyurl.com/7w2y7f

Twitter users in Vancouver, B.C. came together to help homeless people by donating warm clothing for the winter. The idea became known as a TweetupHeatup. Here's a quote from the story:

“We didn’t expect this turnout at all. The power of Twitter and social media is so impressive — you can reach out to people you don’t even know and do amazing things.”

Kudos to these Tweeple for taking action:
    @KyeGrace
    @tyamdm
    @JaniceLaing
    @davidnotary
    @sjagger

This is exactly the kind of story I wanted to hear about. I hope to learn of more like this one.

5. by Victoria

On December 23, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I am using Twitter as a means for expressing what is needed by the Humane Society and in 2009 will put even more emphasis in using my social media voice to help a cause I love so very much.

Great Article, Bernie:)

Happy Holidays and see you in the New Year!

6. by Bernie

On December 23, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Victoria,
    Using your "social media voice" is a great way to characterize the power that we have to be charitable on the social web.

Glad to hear about your plans to use Twitter to help a favorite cause of yours. I invite you to share it with us down the road.

Happy Holidays!
    Bernie

7. by Jennifer Altheimer

On January 3, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Bernie, do you happen to know the @ name of Victoria who wants to help the Humane Society through Twitter?