You’re Addicted to Twitter if You…

Content & Strategy | December 28, 2008

One of the most exciting developments in 2008 was the rapid growth of Twitter.  Much has been written about it. Hubspot recently released their first annual State of the Twittersphere Q4 2008 report. Shel Israel is writing a book called Twitterville which I look forward to reading. In his forthcoming book Shel profiles several brands and individuals using Twitter in their business such as Zappos, Rubbermaid and Scott Monty of Ford Motor Company. Visit Shel’s blog for more details and to keep tabs on the book’s progress and availability.

In addition to some great reading on the impact of Twitter on our culture and society mentioned above I want to offer some thoughts of my own.  The following list is not based on any scientific research.  Rather this list is based on my gut instincts. In other words, this list is just my humble opinion.

You just might be addicted to Twitter if you….

• Load Twitter first thing in the morning before you check your email.
  • Tweet something as the last waking moment before you go to bed.
  • When you meet someone for the first time after asking their name, the next question you ask is if they follow you on Twitter.
  • The next question you ask this new person is how many followers they have.
  • You check your Twitter Grader daily.
  • You check your Twitter following growth daily (or hourly).
  • You feel lame if you haven’t Tweeted in an hour.
  • You always Tweet what you’re doing where ever you are.
  • You look at people who don’t use Twitter as aliens from another planet.
  • You can’t remember life before Twitter.
  • You have grown to hate email because you’d rather use Twitter.
  • You review every new Twitter application as soon as it’s available.
  • You post more than 100 Twitter updates per day.
  • You feel compelled to reply to every one of Chris Brogan’s Tweets.
  • You check Twitter names just to see if they are available.
  • You dream up new Twitter names just because.
  • You revise your Twitter profile once per week.
  • You change your Twitter picture once per week.
  • You dream up ways to talk about Twitter with your non-Twitter friends.
  • You are seriously considering ditching your non-Twitter friends if they don’t get on Twitter.
  • You invent new Twitter vocabulary all the time.
  • When you visit a website you look for their Twitter identity.  If you don’t find one you think less of the company.
  • Your significant other accuses you of spending more time with people on Twitter whom you’ve never met than you spend with him or her.
  • No matter how many Twitter followers you have, you’re never satisfied.
  • You have a separate calling card just with your Twitter identity. You’ve been handing out that card more than your regular business card recently.
  • You haven’t been responsive to people calling your name because you prefer to be called by your Twitter name.
  • You get the shakes if your mind draws blank and you can’t think of something to Tweet about.
  • When you attend business meetings, you send and reply to Tweets from your mobile device.
  • Your mobile device buzzes non-stop because you have enabled the device setting for most of the people you follow on Twitter.

You are really addicted to Twitter if you have set up one or more additional Twitter identities so you can lead a secret double or triple life.

This is a partial list of attributes of Twitter addiction.  If you or someone you love suffers from Twitter addiction, please seek help.  There must be other signs of Twitter addiction not listed here.  I encourage you to add them so you can help someone who suffers from Twitter addiction.  Please add to this list in the comments section below.

BTW, are you following me on Twitter?

Bernie Borges
@berniebay

31 Comments to You’re Addicted to Twitter if You…

1. by Andrea Baker

On December 29, 2008 at 8:52 am

I am so addicted to twitter! Thanks for the post. and I am following you now.

2. by Michelle Evans

On December 29, 2008 at 10:41 am

Well, yes. Yes, I believe I am addicted to Twitter. But wowza some of those are messed up!
    @seeking_balance

3. by TrinkaT

On December 29, 2008 at 10:51 am

Here's another symptom:
    Your spouse is searching for Tweeters Anonymous

4. by BellaVida

On December 29, 2008 at 2:17 pm

very cute post!

5. by Bernie

On December 29, 2008 at 3:08 pm

I never thought about Tweeter's Anonymous! I wonder if the Twitter name is available for it?

6. by MaryBeth Smith

On December 29, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Seriously addicted, but still under control. And will definitely follow you!
    @divamover

7. by Susi B

On December 29, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Good way to attract addicts! Can't help ourselves!!!! We even love reading about how addicted we are :) LOL
    ILT! (I Love Twitter!)

8. by Michelle Evans

On December 29, 2008 at 10:16 pm

@susi b ROFL we love reading about how addicted we are. SWEET!

9. by Jackie

On December 30, 2008 at 11:09 am

Not yet, but I'm working on it!

10. by Katy Barrilleaux

On December 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Great article. Too bad I can relate to most of it. I'm following you now…looking forward to your tweets!

11. by Crystal Pina

On December 30, 2008 at 8:29 pm

OMG, these made me chuckle, but this one made me spit on my screen…

"I never thought about Tweeter’s Anonymous! I wonder if the Twitter name is available for it?"

@crystalpina

12. by take5toexercise

On December 31, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Totally addicted to Twitter when you start thinking in 140 character thoughts.

13. by Kelli Parisian

On January 1, 2009 at 10:26 am

I think you just described my life. What's wrong with my friends who AREN'T on Twitter!

14. by Matches Malone

On January 1, 2009 at 11:08 am

@Crystalpina: I think Tweeters Anonymous would be a 13 step program, because, 12 won't be enough….

15. by Jerry Hart

On January 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I'm still breathtaken by how powerful Twitter was in Mumbai when India faced their 911.

6 Bloggers who were also Twittering were in the hotel pinned up in their rooms not knowing if they were going to die..and these people actually were using Twitter to stay calm as they became part of the 80 twitter messages every 5 seconds that were coming out of Mumbai that horrible day.

When a government begs the people to stop their Twittering because the bad guys are leveraging the Tweets to destroy them…you know Twitter is a serious communications channel.

Thanks for a brilliant post.
    Jerry

16. by John Lessnau

On January 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Twitter = Texting for exhibitionists

17. by Ken Kaufman

On January 8, 2009 at 5:57 pm

This is an article that is dead on. I know a few people that this described perfectly.

18. by Kea

On March 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Yes I am really addicted in twitter!!! I love ipod…and I came to a point, I want to transfer my data to my pc just to save a buck-up. I surfed on the internet then I found TRANSFERPOD it provide me software that enabled me to transfer my files from my ipod/ iphone to my PC or MAC in case of ipod/iphone damage. And it is easy to use even for the non- computer savvy.

I found that in twitter.

19. by CFD Handel

On June 24, 2010 at 9:38 am

Love twitter, but it makes most sense if u can mix it with real life: Was at a massive conference and somebody there tweeted that he needed a phone charger – I had one & tweeted back – we found later that he was actually sitting just in front of me :) love it!

20. by machiaj mireasa

On November 22, 2010 at 1:28 am

21. by IT Company

On December 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Twitter absolutely rocks! But try explaining it to friends who aren't on it or who don't get it! Good luck… @reply what?! re-tweet – what in god's name is that?

22. by Filemaker Training

On December 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm

LOVE Twitter Grader! HubSport def. makes great web apps…

23. by Fractional Cfo

On August 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I am definitely addicted to Twitter; I check it on my Blackberry non stop. At first I hated Twitter but now I'm addicted.

24. by Buy cheap prescripti

On November 14, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Well, it is excellent, but how about the other choices we've got here? Do you mind crafting another article about these too? Many thanks!

25. by Krystal Freise

On November 15, 2011 at 2:00 am

I'm aware about this previously, nevertheless there was clearly some useful bits that finished the picture for me, thank you so much!

26. by Donnie Daigle

On February 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

This may not be the most beneficial place to request this, but I’m looking for a pest management business within the pittsburgh region and have no way to find out who’s the very best. I discovered this business that is actually close to me and wished to see if anyone has any assessments on them. Spectrum Pest Control, 3058 West Liberty Avenue, Dormont, PA 15216 – (412) 446-2802

27. by Virginia Nishio

On February 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm

This might not be the ideal place to request this, but I am trying to find a pest management business within the pittsburgh area and have no way to find out who’s the very best. I located this business that is definitely close to me and wanted to see if any individual has any critiques on them. Spectrum Pest Control, 3058 West Liberty Avenue, Dormont, PA 15216 – (412) 446-2802

28. by Hui Wiles

On October 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. But just imagine if you added some great pictures or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this site could undeniably be one of the best in its niche. Awesome blog!

29. by Jeanett Driver

On October 25, 2012 at 5:07 am

Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this information together. I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

Trackbacks

1. Are You Addicted to Twitter? | Daniel Felice | Creating Something from Nothing
  2. addicted to twitter « Journeying Beyond Breast Cancer