5 B2B Lead Generation Strategies for 2012

Content & Strategy | November 1, 2011

Q4 Is Prime Time for B2B Lead Generation

If you’re a B2B marketer you know the balancing act in Q4. Your sales team needs to close sales in the fourth quarter of the year. And, you need to wake up on New Year’s Day with a healthy sales pipeline for the first quarter of the new year. So, now is the time to be executing effective lead generation strategies to build your 2012 pipeline. Let’s look at five effective digital marketing strategies for B2B lead generation.

Content Marketing Mindset

I assume you have a content marketing mindset, because you must. What content are you producing in the current quarter that will fill your sales pipeline for 2012? Consider getting back to basics. What are the top 10 questions your customers ask? Just check with your customer service department and they’ll tell you. Produce content that answers the most common or the toughest questions. Avoid the temptation to sell. Rather, focus on answering the most popular questions with an offer of content that provides more detail. If you double the amount of blog posts you write in Q4 around the most popular questions, you’ll generate more sales leads. And, be sure all your content (including your website) is mobile friendly.

Landing Pages

How many custom landing pages are you using in your inbound marketing strategies? Double them in Q4! Experiment with different headlines, different copy, QR codes and different calls-to-action (CTAs). We have clients with landing page conversions ranging from 5% to 70%. The reason for the wide variance in conversion rates is a willingness to experiment. Guess which landing pages we use most?

Premium Content

Let’s face it, B2B digital marketing is becoming somewhat of a content war.  You may need to step up your content to another level. Are your white papers getting old? Create a video white paper. Or, expand a white paper into a well designed e-book with appealing graphics that tell a story. Are your videos boring? Let your (B2B) hair down and create a humorous video. Poke fun at yourselves or your industry. But, do it in good taste to avoid negative PR (unless you’re okay with that). Kinaxis does a great job with entertaining video.

Strategic Content Partners

Maybe you need to partner with others in your industry that can help you co-create premium content? Consider your industry relationships. If you have the budget, hire an analyst or otherwise prominent person to help you create an event such as a webinar. In the absence of budget, identify rising stars in your industry with whom you can partner at a lower cost. Consider creating content that is relevant to your industry, but not the same old stuff. I spoke at Content Marketing World 2011 where one of the keynotes was comedian, Kevin Smith who discussed how he used content marketing to launch the next phase of his career.

Get More Rowers in the Boat

This is a hot topic for me. I see too many marketing professionals dealing with the weight of the world on their shoulders. It’s sooooo old school for any company to expect the marketing department to carry all the weight of content marketing. Employees with subject matter expertise must participate! If you’ve not been able to convince them by this point, perhaps you should take the time to do some training in the fourth quarter of 2011? The proper training will get your employees motivated to build their personal brand while helping you build your corporate brand and your sales pipeline. Whatever you have to do to get more employee support to help you become a social business in 2012, do it.

My B2B Lead Generation Call-to-Action

Critical Factors on B2B Lead GenerationIn the spirit of the theme of this blog post I offer you a downlable e-book on B2B lead generation strategies. The strategies outlined in this e-book work well for B2B companies that sell a complex, high ticket product with long sell cycles. These strategies don’t fit for lower priced products and most services industries. Here’s to waking up on January 1, 2012 with a healthy sales pipeline!

16 Comments to 5 B2B Lead Generation Strategies for 2012

1. by garratygroup

On November 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Hey Bernie! Really enjoyed this post. Could you give me the RSS feed URL for this blog? I can't seem to find it anywhere…

2. by FindandConvert

On November 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Hey Carter. I'm glad you enjoyed this post. Just visited your blog and I like it! Have you received any feedback from Mari Smith or Guy Kasawaki on calling them hypocrites?

We just launched our new website and we're still cleaning up some details such as posting the correct blog feed URL. Here it is: http://www.findandconvert.com/blog/feed.

Thanks for your engagement!
    Cheers,
    Bernie

3. by lead generation

On November 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

If your calendar is empty and you need business fast lead generation is a way that you can grow your business rather quickly. It's an easy way to increase your ROI and get more business on your books. ………Here i introduce a new Contract For Deed site which gives us a lot of information……..

4. by top forex brokers

On November 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Wonderful blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get opinions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

5. by Les options binaires

On November 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Have you ever considered adding more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good but since I’m more of a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful well let me know how it turns out!

6. by FindandConvert

On November 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I agree that video is more engaging. Whenever I find a relevant video, I do embed it into a blog post.
    Thanks.
    Bernie

7. by Brendan Cosgrove

On December 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Great ideas Bernie. Sharing the load for content IS key, but getting it done is what's proven difficult for our efforts. Thanks for the encouragement! BTW, Q4 is looking good.

8. by FindandConvert

On December 2, 2011 at 2:19 am

Brendan, as you know I refer to this issue as "getting more rowers in the boat." If you can convince others that their contribution helps their personal brand and the company's competitive viability, some of them should respond to that. And, when some respond, others will eventually respond. Keep the faith! ;)

9. by Justin Schmelz

On January 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

I would like to express appreciation to the writer just for rescuing me from such a instance. As a result of browsing through the internet and obtaining proposals that were not powerful, I assumed my life was well over. Being alive without the presence of answers to the difficulties you have solved as a result of your main guide is a crucial case, and ones that could have in a wrong way damaged my career if I had not encountered the blog. Your personal mastery and kindness in taking care of everything was priceless. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t come across such a stuff like this. I can at this moment look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot very much for the impressive and results-oriented guide. I won’t hesitate to propose your web page to anybody who would like assistance about this problem.

10. by Tana Callender

On February 9, 2012 at 10:59 am

This might not be the most beneficial place to request this, but I’m looking for a pest management provider inside the pittsburgh region and have no way to find out who is the most effective. I discovered this company which is truly close to me and wanted to see if any individual has any reviews on them. Spectrum Pest Control, 3058 West Liberty Avenue, Dormont, PA 15216 – (412) 446-2802

11. by click this

On July 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm

We are a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with helpful info to paintings on. You have done an impressive job and our entire group will be thankful to you.

12. by Jeanetta Wierenga

On October 16, 2012 at 3:51 am

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. There’s no doubt that that you should publish more on this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people don’t discuss such issues. To the next! Many thanks!!

13. by Dario Kaus

On October 16, 2012 at 3:51 am

Right here is the perfect blog for anyone who hopes to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I really would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that has been discussed for a long time. Excellent stuff, just excellent!

14. by Jonah Traeger

On November 12, 2012 at 4:03 am

I don’t even know how I ended up being here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a well known blogger if you aren’t already Regards!

15. by proba

On April 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!

I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back in the future. Many thanks

Trackbacks